Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lagoon and the drive to Texas


Right before we left for Texas, we had some good times with the Weed family and went to Lagoon! I made it about 3 rides before I got motion sick and had to sit out for a minute or two....but it was so much fun! We went on all the big roller coasters and some other rides, our favorites being wicked, the spider, and that rocket blast off one that I cant remember the name...

Then we left for Texas! It was a long drive, well three days, at least 8 hours of driving each day, but we had alot of fun. Our first stop was in Vernal, where we were to see the cool dinosaur fossils at the park, but as it turns out the building was falling in or something and so they closed it to remodel. We could have waited for a shuttle and then hiked in to see some stuff, but we decided to just take a picture by this real looking dinosaur and leave.


Next stop, Colorado! We stopped, after passing through some pretty cool park city like resort towns, in a well resort town of winter park Colorado, stayed in a motel manned by a guy who spoke a language I didn't understand, and ate some pretty good BBQ. Oh and too bad we didn't plan more time, the city was full of mountain bikers, apparently there are alot of good trails here in the summer....next time next time. This picture is in the restaurant we ate at. It had some pretty cool decorations, along with this guy sitting at the bar. We took a picture with him.


Next stop, Rocky Mountain National Park! This was pretty cool, we drove on a road that went to the tops of the Rockies, literally! The highest elevation of the road we drove on was like 12,070 feet or something. Wow! It was cold up there! Anyways, there were some really cool views of the Rockies, overall a very pretty park.




Next in Colorado, we went to the Denver Mint. I didn't remember that there was a mint there until too late, so we did not get to take a tour (you have to schedule 2 months in advance), so that was a bummer but it was fun to go see the building!


Well the rest of the trip we didn't really make any exciting stops, just to stay the night in Kansas...but the drive through Kansas was out of control! We drove through the biggest thunderstorm I have ever been in. It was non-stop, no exaggerating, lightning for an hour and a half. It was constantly flashing and lighting up the road all around us. It was crazy! We were thinking maybe there would be a tornado or something....thankfully neither of us woke up in Oz.

Anyways, now we are in Texas and will be posting pics of our apartment and College Station as soon as our moving truck gets here with our stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the commentary, but I just had a thought. Who is taking all the photos of you? I know your arms aren't that long. All those photographers are doing a good job.
    Happy unpacking, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive friendly the Texas way!!! Hahahah Until I come to visit! jk. Sooo fun to see everything you did on your trip down. Way to live it up the Baker way and stop at all the little sights along the road. Remember when we stopped at the world's largest thermometer? Can't wait to see pics of your new place ect. P.S. is that guy at the bar single? Because I am! :)

    ReplyDelete